At The 99 you'll find a career that is more than just a job. We promise to provide you with the opportunity, and we will empower you to make it your own and run with it.
You're invited to
your career at the 99,
to make big impacts, and continue to
with us! #StartStayGrow
We're growing quickly, and we're always looking for amazing and talented
to join our Buy/Merchandising team.
The 99 Cents Only Stores is a leading premium value retail chain that exists to provide the communities we serve an exciting primary shopping destination for our price savvy enthusiasts. We have over 386 retail stores in CA, NV, AZ, and TX and counting! There is magic in the number 99 that we hold dear, and we love sharing it with our community through amazing prices and quality brand name products. Our categories grow day by day, and we are a one-stop destination for fresh produce, grocery, home goods, electronics, toys, home decor, party supplies, stationary, and so much more!
To fulfill dreams 9 days a week
Our Core Values:
- Customer First
- Win as a team
- Treat everyone with dignity and respect
- Every penny Counts
- Celebrate and inspire the Magic of 99 in all you do
will be responsible to drive sales growth with exciting deals, new re-orderable items and brand name closeout merchandise while maintaining appropriate inventory turns and gross margin levels.
Housewares, Hardware, Automotive, Produce, Deli, Grocery, Toys, Stationary, Party Supplies, Candy and General Merchandise are just a few of the categories we are always looking for!
Duties and Responsibilities
Skills and Requirements:
- Demonstrate excellence and discipline throughout the buying process (negotiations, work ethic, standards of behavior).
- Drive departmental ownership and P&L mentality for product purchased without losing the gut instinct.
- Become a key participant and core team member for implementation of the merchandising system.
- Drive store level merchandising for your categories (end-cap directives, register program, signage...)
- Minimize store level and Bargain Wholesale out of stocks while balancing DC level inventory (Manage re-orderable purchasing).
- Constantly drive optimal pricing / service level combination for your categories (buy direct, continue to negotiate, plan substitutes for price increases, always have and continue to find new sources, know your categories...).
- Develop relationships with and ensure we are 'Dug in' with all major manufacturers in your categories.
- Effectively buy for multiple regions (ex: Commerce and TX, + eventual new regions).
- Key decision maker for buying decisions.
- Participate in major trade shows.
- Identify and build relationships with new vendors to continue to deliver exciting merchandise at the right price in the right place at the right time (re-orderable).
- Become a category expert (shop new markets and competitors to source new ideas/products).
- Work with the import and product development departments to drive improved values, margins, improved packaging and other exciting products.
- Gain insight and develop strong understanding of our customer base for your categories in each relevant region.
- Identify and stay ahead of trends.
- Assess profitability and optimize mix of Branded and Private label products for your categories.
- Rationalize duplicate or nonproductive SKU's in your categories and replace with more productive SKU's.
- Build multiple profiles to improve merchandising and purchasing (ex. Holiday, summer, baking, spring cleaning, baseball / football season, superbowl...).
- Ensure your categories have key items and offer appropriate selection and value to the consumer.
- Assess and insure participation in critical subcategories.
- Identify and implement new sub-categories as appropriate.
- Understand commodity pricing and how they drive your brands. Have contingency plans for items that will enter inflationary cycles.
- Ability to be a change agent and not get easily frustrated with external and internal obstacles. Must have the attitude and aptitude to overcome.
- Ability to network and cultivate relationships.
- Understanding of regulatory requirements (Prop 65, FDA, USDA...).
- Data management / Analytical aptitude (profitability, SKU rationalization, OOS management, KPI's).
- Abide to the Code of Business Conduct and Ethics Policy.
- Ensure compliance with internal controls as applicable to your function within the organization.
Benefits & Perks:
- Strong negotiation and relationship development skills
- Intuitive Merchandising Sense and Merchandising experience.
- Strong understanding of category management and inventory management.
- Merchandising system experience.
- Experience with Closeouts or other Opportunity Buys.
- Sales, imports and allocation experience.
- Category Management and Inventory Management experience.
- BA/BS Degree preferred.
- 2+ years of Diverse Purchasing experience preferred but not required.
- Health Benefits: Medical, Dental, Vision, Life
- Company sponsored EAP - Employee Assistance Program
- 401(k) with 100% match up to 3% after 1 year of service
- PTO: Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Holidays
- Employee Discount
- Discounted services, tickets, and products throughAtWorkPerks
99 Cents Only Stores, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing opportunities to the communities we serve and are committed to diverse and inclusive environments that promotes treating all people with dignity & respect.