The Assistant Store Manager (ASM) - is responsible for driving the store's merchandising and operations strategy through cleanliness, presentation, display, product selection, inventory control, and disposal to generate profitable store growth. In addition, the ASM will be responsible for daily Operations Management which includes staff training/development, guest experience, hiring of associates, and Asset Protection. The ASM will run daily operations in the absence of the Store Manager and will work with store leadership to drive overall store performance.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Oversee efficient preparing, unloading, sorting, staging, stocking, and backhaul processes
- Ensure fresh displays are replenished, rotated, culled several times daily. Set quality standards for culling.
- Ensure proper rotation of all product.
- Oversee/ train on guidelines for all perishable handling.
- Ensure that cycle counts/Liquid Forms are being completed timely and accurately to reduce scrap and maximize sales.
- Ensure work areas are maintained, clean, neat, organized including fixture deep cleans as needed.
- Track stocking productivity daily and hold Stockers accountable to case per hour labor standards.
- Use SSO reports to review re-orderable items that are available in the Distribution Center (DC).
- Responsible for overseeing Seasonal Department including set-up / planning/ stocking / maintenance
- Operate and inspect powered industrial equipment (i.e. Electric Pallet Jack (EPJ) and/or Forklift, refrigerators, coolers, and freezers, etc.).
- Responsible for front end staff training and guidance in day-to day responsibilities.
- Plan front end merchandise layouts and maintain shelves and inventory.
- Ensure specialty racks programs assigned and refilled daily (reading/sunglasses, batteries, etc.)
- Responsible for ordering store supplies including all front-end supplies (example bank change)
- Ensure all Asset Protection programs are being executed and any exceptions are being reported to the Store Manager and Regional Asset Protection Manager.
- Conduct required audits to ensure the store is functional, safe and in compliance.
- Support Store Manager with hiring and onboarding activities.
- Manage recovery process to ensure best practices are being followed.
- Assist Store Manager in enforcing all Company Hazardous Waste Programs including storage, disposal, logs, HWBP (Hazardous Waste Business Plans) and ordering Hazmat equipment.
- Ensure the store is a safe place for associates to work and customers to visit.
- Coach, support, and evaluate new and existing associate performance.
- Ensure all associates are completing all required training programs and documenting results per company guidelines.
- Check and execute SAM Tasks (Task Management system) daily.
- Assist in store's shrink awareness programs and provide corrective actions.
- Assist with all daily store functions and activities including opening/closing procedures.
- Abide by and uphold all company policies, internal controls, and procedures, including safety guidelines.
- Protect company assets, implementing and executing all company programs and expectations.
- Foster and actively promote a team environment supportive of diversity, individual development, and winning as a team.
- Cover additional duties assigned by the Store Manager.
- Available to open and close store.
Qualifications and Requirements
Core Competencies Required:
- Drives Results: Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances.
- Customer Focus: Builds strong customer relations and delivering customer-centric solutions.
- Being Resilient and Flexible: Overcomes setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations.
- Action Oriented: Taking on new opportunities and tough challenges with a sense of urgency, high energy, and enthusiasm.
- Ensures Accountability: Holding self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- High School Diploma required; AA Degree preferred.
- 2+ yrs. experience merchandising a 99¢ Only Stores or equivalent experience.
- Self-starter with the ability to exceed performance expectations.
- Ability to work effectively multi-task in a fast-paced work environment.
- Ability to train and lead associates on store best practices in order to manage day to day operations.
- Execute 99¢ Only Stores visual merchandising standards as measured by regular audits
- Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
- Ability to constantly stand, bend, twist and reach with a moderate amount of manual dexterity